24 February 2018

RSS Facebook

Ads

International

Monday January 29, 2018
Kabul (BNA) President Trump condemned the deadly car bombing in Kabul, Afghanistan, on Saturday, calling for all nations to crack down on the Taliban terrorist group behind the attack, The Hill writes.
"I condemn the despicable car bombing attack in Kabul today that has left scores of innocent civilians dead and hundreds injured," the president said in a White House statement Saturday. "This murderous attack renews our resolve and that of our Afghan partners. The Taliban’s cruelty will not prevail." The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. It took place on a busy street lined with old government buildings after the suspected attacker passed a security checkpoint and tried to evade another. The attack killed at least 95 people and injured dozens more. "The United States is committed to a secure Afghanistan that is free from terrorists who would target Americans, our allies, and anyone who does not share their wicked ideology," Trump continued. "Now, all countries should take decisive action against the Taliban and the terrorist infrastructure that supports them."
Novinite
Ansari

Friday January 12, 2018
Kabul (BNA) The Pentagon is planning to send more armed drones and roughly 1,000 new combat advisers to Afghanistan, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.
U.S. and military officials told the paper the move is meant to bolster the American military presence in Afghanistan in time for spring, when the traditional fighting season begins.
As soon as February, the Pentagon will send members of an Army security-force assistance brigade from Fort Benning, Ga., to work as combat advisers to Afghan National Security Forces.
The larger fleet of drones, both armed and unarmed, will provide air support and will also be used for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance.
In addition, the Pentagon plans to add more helicopters, ground vehicles, artillery and other equipment. The Defense Department (DOD) is able to do so because of reduced combat operations in Syria and Iraq against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
President Trump announced in August a new plan for Afghanistan that includes sending 3,000 to 4,000 additional troops to the country to help end the stalemate there. The extra forces brings the number of American personnel in the country to about 14,000.
The increase in security-force assistance troops may move the needle past 14,000, but there is the chance the Pentagon could at the same time withdraw another unit.
Gen. John Nicholson, the head of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, told reporters last month that more advisers would aid their Afghan counterparts, but did not give a number.
There are “well over 1,000 advisers out at any given time,” but in 2018 “this will increase dramatically,” Nicholson said.
The increase stems from a request from Defense Secretary James Mattisthat Army Gen. Joseph Votel, chief of the U.S. Central Command, come up with ways to rethink military capabilities in the countries, The Wall Street Journal wrote.
Mattis didn’t put a deadline on drawing down resources from Central Command.
As ISIS loses more ground in Iraq and Syria, the Pentagon has been able to shift some resources east to Afghanistan. Military planners want to reduce the number of ground troops in Iraq and Syria over the next year.
But Pentagon officials plan to be careful in moving forces out of the two countries, as they hope to prevent ISIS or other extremist groups from re-emerging.
The U.S. forces still there would focus on counterterrorism operations and security for diplomats and contractors. There are currently more than 5,000 U.S. troops in Iraq and Syria, according to the Pentagon.
Thehill
Ansari

Friday December 29, 2017
Kabul (BNA) Secretary-General of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), Dr. Yousef A. Al-Othaimeen has strongly condemned the suicide bomb attacks in Kabul that killed at least forty people and wounded dozens.
These cowardly attacks targeting innocent worshippers and civilians go against the teachings and values of Islam, he said, while extending his solidarity with Afghanistan in its fight against terrorism.
The OIC Secretary-General offered his deepest condolences to the families of the victims, government and people of Afghanistan on the tragic loss of lives and wished early recovery to the injured.
Dr. Al-Othaimeen reiterated the principled position of the OIC against all forms of terrorism and extremism and repeated his call for international solidarity in the fight against the scourge of terrorism.
Wam
Ansari

Friday December 29, 2017
Kabul (BNA) The UN Security Council has strongly condemned the “heinous and cowardly” terrorist attacks that took place in Kabul on Thursday, killing more than 40 people and injuring at least 80.
“The members of the Security Council expressed their deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the victims and to the Government of Afghanistan and they wished a speedy and full recovery to those who were injured,” the 15-member Council said in a statement.
Reaffirming that terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes one of the most serious threats to international peace and security, the Council underlined the need to bring perpetrators, organizers, financiers and sponsors of these reprehensible acts of terrorism to justice.
It urged all states to cooperate actively with the government of Afghanistan and all other relevant authorities in this regard.
App
Ansari

Page 1 of 63